Although she’s one of the many talented, budding actors of young Hollywood, Demi Singleton is just your all-American girl next door—who has just turned sixteen this past weekend. To celebrate, the actress who is best known for her role in the crime TV series Godfather of Harlem and as the young Serena Williams in the biopic King Richard, threw the ultimate sweet sixteen bash, complete with The Great Gatsby-inspired decor and Miu Miu dresses. MINI V caught up with the birthday girl to chat about all things parties and the sixteen lessons she’s learned in life (so far!).
Talk to us about this birthday look! What did you have in mind when preparing for the celebration? How many options did consider before deciding on the Miu Miu look?
I really wanted my look to resemble the classy, glamorous, and elegant style of the 1920s, but with a modern twist. While planning the event, I learned that many of the costumes shown in the 2013 Great Gatsby film were designed by Miu Miu, so I felt that it was only right to be dressed in Miu Miu! The jewelry collection in the film was made by Tiffany & Co., so I also wanted to incorporate Tiffany Pearls into my look.
What has the planning process been like for the birthday bash? Did you have any specific details or themes in mind?
I’ve always wanted to have a Roaring 20’s themed birthday party, so I thought that my sixteenth birthday celebration could be the best time to execute that theme in a very fashionable way. The little details, like the feathers and pearls placed throughout the party space, were really important to me because I wanted to capture the essence of the 1920s party culture as closely as possible.
Now that you’ve turned sixteen, what is the biggest wish you hope for yourself?
Now that I’m sixteen, I wish to continue to learn and grow as a person and to learn more about who I am and what exactly it means to be me. I also wish to finish Drivers Ed so I can get my license!
BONUS: From lipglosses to loving yourself, Demi Singleton shares sixteen lessons that she has learned with MINI V:
- Always carry AT LEAST two different lipglosses.
- Comfort is the new fashion
- Don’t be afraid to speak up, even to adults.
- Don’t be so hard on yourself for making mistakes. You’re human!
- Spending time away from your phone can be really relaxing.
- Don’t procrastinate.
- Stay true to who you are; you should never feel the need to change who you are for anyone or anything.
- Love yourself the way you love others.
- Push yourself outside of your comfort zone.
- Stay hydrated. Water cures most teenage problems.
- Always be open to other perspectives.
- Don’t push yourself to do anything you’re not passionate about.
- Black doesn’t actually go with everything.
- Surround yourself with people who are just as ambitious as you are.
- Listen to your parents, they may know a few things.
- Never compare your life to the lives of others; everyone’s trying their best to figure it all out. Just because it looks like they have it all together, doesn’t mean they actually do.